15 December 2013

Santa & Mrs. Claus - Lowcountry style

Santa & Mrs. Claus, Charleston, S.C.
There has been some discussion lately about what race Santa is. It started after Fox news broadcaster Megyn Kelly pronounced him white, and continued to Jon Stewart on the Daily Show. It made me very proud to find our Lowcountry Claus couple in place at Marion Square this morning, welcoming everyone with warm smiles and "ho, ho, ho's" on this drizzly day.

Not only are they a mixed race couple but the Mrs. is using a walker this year. Thank you Charleston!


12 comments:

Rick said...

I thought he was a North Pole.

Merisi said...

Truly in the spirit! One can only hope that they enjoy many more Christmas seasons together!
Hohoho,
Merisi

Jack said...

They used to be from Connecticut but these days they are from Florida.

Pixel Peeper said...

The original Saint Nicholas was a bishop in what is now Turkey. That would make him ... what? ... brown? Love the Charleston Santa and Mrs. Claus!

William Kendall said...

Mrs. Claus has an infectious smile!

Marcheline said...

Very cool couple - and I think Santa Claus takes on the nationality of whatever country he's in at the time. You know, so he doesn't frighten the wits out of the kids who stay up to peek at him.

John Prince said...

I like this. Growing up in the South, so many of our important figures were black, mostly positive. The snowy Christmas ads and lilly white popular figures was not us. This is something I can relate to.

John Prince said...

Funny! I just read the controversy of the race of Santa after I posted above. What a bunch of nuts. And to add to this, I see Advent displays around town here with black Jesuses, and no one gives them a second thought. The media can be so out of touch.

Charlestonjoan said...

It is so ridiculous! She likes to stir up controversy I am thinking.

Charlestonjoan said...

That is what I think as well. He should be "comfortable".

Charlestonjoan said...

I like the Jon Stewart comment that the real Santa would have been on the "do not fly" list ;)

Charlestonjoan said...

I hope so!