29 September 2015

West Ashley Bikeway Dock

West Ashley Bikeway Dock, Charleston, SC  
This is the new dock at the end of the West Ashley Bike Way. Beautiful! Now that I have a step counter on my cell phone I can tell you it is 8,420 steps to and from my house. Huff, puff. I walked down the Bikeway on Sunday since the last time I was there the new dock was under construction.

It is a pleasant wooded walk, until it comes out smack dab in the middle of busy St. Andrews Blvd. not close to an intersection. On the way there I took my life in my hands dashing across the street but on the way back the traffic was too heavy. I headed along the side of the road in the direction home and got entangled in a mess trying to cross. It is not a pedestrian friendly area which kinda steals the charm from a walk in the woods.
While the route rolls along largely unobstructed, it is sparsely maintained and marred by one particularly hazardous intersection. Leaving the riverfront, pedestrians must negotiate busy, four-lane St. Andrews Boulevard without benefit of a light or crosswalk. Use extreme caution when crossing.

3 comments:

Jack said...

These shots make the area look fine. You hid the nasty traffic from our eyes.

William Kendall said...

Quite well constructed. The shelter would actually make a good choice for tomorrow's theme day!

Charlestonjoan said...

I did. I always tend to flatter with photography.